HOME > HISTORY

HISTORY

Shiga University consists of two faculties: the Faculty of Education on the Otsu Campus and the Faculty of Economics on the Hikone Campus. Each faculty has a history of amalgamation and reorganization described below.

The Otsu campus of Shiga University has its origin in the Training Institute for Elementary School Teachers, which was established in 1874 and was subsequently renamed Shiga Normal School in 1875. This school was reorganized and became Shiga College of Education in 1943. Upon the founding of Shiga University in 1949, Shiga College of Education and another local teachers training college were amalgamated into the Faculty of Liberal Arts of Shiga University.

The Hikone campus has its origin in Hikone Commercial College which was established in 1922. The college was reorganized as Hikone College of Economics in 1944 and became the Faculty of Economics of Shiga University in 1949.

The main administrative office of the university is located on the Hikone campus.

The development and reorganization of Shiga University since its foundation in 1949 are as follows:

1949 Shiga University is founded as a coeducational national university in accordance with the National School Establishment Law.
The Main Library on the Hikone campus and the Branch Library of Faculty of Liberal Arts on the Otsu campus open.
1951 The Elementary School and the Junior High School, both affiliated to the Faculty of Liberal Arts, are established.
1952 The Economic History and Archival Museum of the Faculty of Economics is registered as a government-recognized museum.
1953 The Junior College of Economics is established for evening courses in Business Administration (abolished in 1996).
1955 The Kindergarten affiliated to the Faculty of Liberal Arts is established.
Post-graduate courses in Accounting and Business Administration are launched.
1963 The four-year course of the Faculty of Liberal Arts is divided into two courses: the Elementary School Teachers Course and the Junior High School Teachers Course.
1966 The Faculty of Liberal Arts is renamed the Faculty of Education.
The Certificate Course in Pedagogy is launched.
1967 The Special Education Teachers Course (Education for the Mentally Handicapped) is launched.
The Economic History and Archival Museum of the Faculty of Economics is renamed the Faculty of Economics Archival Museum.
1972 The Department of Management Science of the Faculty of Economics is established.
1973 The Graduate School of Economics is established with the following courses: Economics and Management.
1974 The Course for Kindergarten Teachers in the Faculty of Education is launched.
1975 The Provisional Course in Special Education (Education for the Mentally Handicapped) is launched.
1976 The Research Institute for Lake Sciences is established in the Faculty of Education.
1977 The Department of Accounting in the Faculty of Economics is established.
1978 The Health and Medical Service Center for university faculty, staff and students is established.
The Special School for the Mentally Handicapped affiliated to the Faculty of Education is established.
1981 The Certificate Course in Special Education (Education for the Mentally Handicapped) is launched.
1985 The Computer Center is established for computer services to university faculty, staff and students.
1990 The Information Science Course in the Faculty of Education is established.
The Department of Information Processing and Management in the Faculty of Economics is established.
1991 The Graduate School of Education is established with the following courses: School Education, Special Education and Subject Studies (Japanese, Social Studies, Natural Sciences, Art, and English).
The Department of Finance in the Faculty of Economics is established.
The Computer Center is renamed the Center for Information Processing.
1992 The Center for Teacher In-Service Training in the Faculty of Education is established.
1993 The Departments of Management and Accounting in the Faculty of Economics are reorganized and named the Department of Business Administration and the Department of Accounting.
The Department of Social Systems in the Faculty of Economics is established.
The Joint Research Center in the Faculty of Economics is established.
1994 The Research Center for Lifelong Learning is established.
1995 The Research Institute for Lake Sciences in the Faculty of Education is reorganized and named the Center for Environmental Education and Lake Sciences.
1996 The Faculty of Economics launches the Evening Course.
1997 The teachers courses (Junior High School, Special Education and Kindergarten ) in the Faculty of Education are amalgamated into the Department of Education.
2000 The Department of Information Science in the Faculty of Education is reorganized and named the Department of Information Sciences and Education. The faculty also establishes the Department of Environmental Education. With the Department of Education (since 1997), the faculty consists of three departments.
The Center for Teacher In-Service Training in the Faculty of Education is reorganized and named the Center for Educational Research and Practice.
2001 The Global Finance Course is launched in the Graduate School of Economics.
The International Students Center is established.
2002 The Center for Community Partnership is established.
2003 The Research Center for Sustainability and Environment is established.
The Risk Research in Economics and Management Course is launched in the Graduate School of Economics.
2004 All national universities in Japan are transformed into national university corporations. The official name of Shiga University becomes National University Corporation Shiga University.
The Center for Risk Research is established in the Faculty of Economics.
2006 The International Students Center is reorganized and named Shiga University International (SUI).
2012 The Research Center for Cooperation with Society is established amalgamating the Research Center for Lifelong Learning, the Joint Research Center and the Center for Community Partnership.
2012 The Research Center for Cooperation with Society is established amalgamating the Research Center for Lifelong Learning, the Joint Research Center and the Center for Community Partnership.
2015 Office of Student Accessibility Services is established.
2016 The Center for Data Science Education and Research is established.